Its ridiculous how bad I am in drawing. Because of that I started to learn Blender some years ago. One of my last drawings was a scene from a dream I once had. With Blender I was finally able to catch the mood of that scene in an image:
Again on lighting. This time it is a 4x4x4-LED-cube I had laying around for several month. Building such a thing takes a bit of patience, but turned out to be relaxing as playing with lego. Programming it can get challenging, but the software provided does a good job in simplifying it by providing graphics primitives.
parts and sources
aglick.com original author,
thingiverse.com/thing:501651 printed parts/tools,
hackerspace-bielefeld.de software modifications,
sites.google.com/site/rgbledcubes pinout correction,
instructables.com/id/Charliecube… HippyNerd’s step-by-step instructions
Mainly I wanted to have one, because they look so great. On the other hand this is also an interesting project, because the exercise is to control 192 light emitting diodes (LEDs) with a single microcontroller. LEDs are polarity sensitive. We take advantage of that fact by controlling another LED by using the same pair of wires with opposite polarity and therefore save wires. That was meant to draw a rudimentary picture on how this is working. However that wasn’t completely accurate, because in real charlieplexing gets used here, which saves even more wires. But it is also more complicated and implies, that not all LEDs can be lid up at the same time. Instead they flicker fast enough to trick the human eye not to see it.
Now that the dark season of the year is coming, I felt the need for a better lighting concept in my room. The blue light is meant to remind me on how the blue summer sky looks alike. I liked the blue energy saving lamps even better than its LED counterparts, because they deliver cooler light. The construction of the lamp is kept as simple as possible. An IKEA PRÖJS desk pad forms the lamps body and acts as diffuser. It is held together with a punched metal strip and M3 nuts and bolds and 3M double sided tape, all of which I had lying around.
Not only does it serve virtually ‘everything’ much faster, but is also highly configurable and therefor tweakable. I am really satisfied with the result. Besides from that I have also set up a system monitor and log file analyzer, which I haven’t had for a while. But in order to deliver relevant content the importance of such tools should never be underestimated. I also have moved my voice mailbox from an old raspberry pi b+ to this server. This simplifies my backups, improves its reliability and as a bonus I do not have to deliver my voice mails across the internet or at least I don’t have to let asterisk know any of my smtp passwords 😉
I have moved my infrastructure to my own virtual server and now have a central point to administrate everything. Thanks to FreeBSD and it’s jails I was able to separate services, which are known to have security issues regularly. Also I have already operated that server for two years and fine tuned many things, like firewall rules and kernel parameters. I am now pretty happy with the result. Among many other advantages which I gained by doing so, I have also improved the accessibility for my visitors: My sites are available over IPv6 and HTTPS, which tended to be too expensive on my previously used shared webspace. I am currently thinking about writing an article or creating a video about what I have learned about the differences and similarities between self hosted environments and shared webspace, because I managed to run unsupported code and languages on my shared space for years, which some of you may find interesting.
actually… it works 🙂 😉
first complete 360 degree rendering took 4 hours (without baking anything)
In diesem Video zeige ich wie man in Blender eine Ladeanzeige erstellen kann: Die Art von Animation, die oft zusammen mit AJAX für Webseiten benutzt wird. Durch Erstellen einer eigenen Grafik braucht man sich dabei nicht um Urheberrechtsverletzungen Gedanken zu machen.